Monday, April 14, 2008

A Ballad A Day....

The other day, I was reading in Numbers 21. Verse 26 says, "For Heshbon was the city of Sihon the king of the Amorites, who had fought against the former king of Moab and taken all his land out of his hand, as far as the Arnon."

Now, verse 27 says, "Therefore the ballad singers say, 'Come to Heshbon, let it be built; let the city of Sihon be established. For fire came out from Heshbon, flame from the city of Sihon. It devoured Ar of Moab, and swallowed the heights of Arnon."

Sometime between verses 26 and 27, history was translated into ballad. Prose became poetry. Victory donned the cloak of verse.

I want to learn from that.

I'm here in Louisville for Together for the Gospel. Rather than report on each day's events, which others will do much better, I thought it would be interesting to try my hand at a little historical balladification.

More to come......

No comments: